Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Nursing Milestone

We just returned from a whirlwind road trip to Georgia for a surprise baby shower, and I noticed a shift in Grace's nursing. Until now, every trip we've taken has evenings filled with engorged and sore breasts because she didn't nurse as often during the drive as she does at home. I wasn't looking forward to experiencing it again, but apparently I was worried for nothing. The pain and over-filled breasts didn't happen. I realized that Grace has slowed down to the point that going five hours between sessions didn't have an effect on my supply. While it was nice to skip the discomfort, it made me a little sad. I know that it's the natural pattern and that she will still have days where she nurses often, but it's just one more change as she moves from baby to kid.

On a happier note, it was yet another vacation where I breastfed in public in a new city and didn't face any discrimination or even dirty looks. I can't decide if it means that people are more tolerant or if I'm so discreet that they never know what I'm doing!

No comments: