Thursday, June 26, 2008

When Fertility Makes a Comeback

I've read lots of questions from moms on Internet boards about when their periods will return after having a baby. I believe that the average length of time for a "true" breastfeeding mother is 14 months. In Ecological Breastfeeding: Natural Child Spacing, the author outlines what she defines as ecological breastfeeding. It involves breastfeeding on demand, no bottles, no pacifiers (though I would argue about that), co-sleeping, and night nursing. I did all of that with the exception that two of my three had pacifiers for a few months in the beginning. Strangely, my fertility returned most quickly with my first, who didn't get a pacifier at all. With Kathleen, my period started up again when she was 16 months old. I didn't get my period after Alexander's birth for 22 months. It took 21 months with Grace.

The little secret about having periods while still breastfeeding that I never read about happens to me the week before each one. My nipples become very sore; early pregnancy sore. I haven't really looked into the detailed reason; I know it is hormone related. Since it happens when I'm not pregnant, and therefore my body doesn't need to worry about sustaining a new life, I don't really understand the point. What is my body trying to tell me? Is it just a byproduct of hormones that serves no purpose? The pain totally goes away a couple of days before my period and doesn't come back for a month. I don't know anyone who has experienced this because the people I could ask didn't nurse this long, and the people I know who have nursed this long aren't ones I want to ask.

It's strange how moms won't talk about some things. I wish someone had told me how much it would hurt to breastfeed in the beginning, but all of the things I read said that if it hurts, then something is wrong. I had pain with my first two children that was intense, but only lasted two days. I had none with my third. I tell friends that it may hurt a lot, but if things are going well, it won't last long. I think telling them that it won't hurt is wrong. Pretending everything is always rosy never helped anyone.

2 comments:

Liz said...

i think you get pregnancy symptoms as a warning -for me and many mamas i know they get sore nips and nausea when they are ovulating thier first post partum eggy-or before thier first period if they didnt ovulate first. i am quite sure it is natures warning to be careful ! lol

superfunmom said...

That's funny! You're right, it does make you feel like you are newly pregnant.